Why Did Christ Set Us Free? [Galatians 5]
1It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery.
5For we through the Spirit, by faith, are waiting for the hope of righteousness. 6For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything, but faith working through love. 7You were running well; who hindered you from obeying the truth?
8This persuasion did not come from Him who calls you.
16But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh. 17For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please. 18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.
What is the freedom we have because Christ set us free?
- free from being subject again to the yoke of slavery v.1
- free to eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness through the Spirit by faith v. 5
- free to have faith working through love v. 6
- free to not make my freedom an opportunity for the flesh v. 13
- free to serve one another through love v. 13
- free to fulfill the entire law by loving my neighbor as myself v. 14
- free to walk by the Spirit v. 16
- free to not carry out the desire of the flesh v. 16
- free to be led by the Spirit v. 18
- free to not be under the law v. 18
- free from strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger,etc. v.20
- free to have the fruit of the Spirit evident in my life (love, joy, peace, kindness, etc.)
- free to have self-control (my will under the controlling power of the Spirit) v.22
- free to live by the Spirit, walk by the Spirit v. 25
- free to not become boastful, challenging or envying others v. 26
Father, this freedom that Christ paid for is not a small freedom. We praise You that Christ's Spirit living in us makes it possible to put to death all that is of the flesh and to instead live out Your righteousness. Thank You that "I have been crucified with Christ; and I no longer live but Christ lives in me." (Galatians 2:19-20)