He Is Coming [2 Thessalonians 2]
1Now we request you, brethren, with regard to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, 2that you not be quickly shaken from your composure or be disturbed either by a spirit or a message or a letter as if from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come.
One of my favorite Bible teachers, Wayne Barber, told about a morning when he showed up at the church he pastored and found the place deserted. There were cars scattered on curbs and in unlikely places. Sets of clothing, with shoes, socks, pants and shirts lay in various spots in and out of the cars as if the people were suddenly vaporized leaving the piles of clothing behind. This elaborately faked rapture was obviously a big joke and they all got a great laugh out of the gag.
However, imagine that you were not very well informed concerning the coming of the Lord and you became convinced that the Lord had already come and you were left behind. That is what happened to some of the Thessalonian believers. One of the reasons Paul wrote the second letter to them was to reassure them that Jesus had not come and to explain what events would have to happen first so they would not be deceived again. God wants us to be informed concerning the coming of Christ, too, and to be ready for it, anticipating it, not being afraid of it. His coming is our hope and by God's grace, we can be ready and looking forward to this homecoming of our King, of our Bridegroom.
Things to know about the Coming of Christ
- The apostasy comes first (a time when many "so called" believers will leave the faith)
- The man of lawlessness (the antichrist ) is revealed and sets himself up as God in the temple of God
- The man of lawlessness will display power, signs and false wonders and deception
- When the Lord comes, He will slay the man of lawlessness with His breath
- God will send a deluding spirit to deceive those who would not believe God and love His truth
God, Jesus and believers
- God has chosen you from the beginning for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the truth
- He called you through the gospel that you may gain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ
- God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ have
given us eternal comfort
good hope by grace
so that we can
be comforted and strengthened in our hearts in every good work and word
We praise You God that You have made known to us the things that will come. Cause us to love Your truth and walk in it by Your grace so that we will stand firm, not deceived and be ready looking forward to Your Coming.